World Info Hub - We Are All Connected - The Whole World is Watching - It Is Bigger Than Us - Be the Change

PEACE - LOVE - FREEDOM - INFORMATION - RΞ√ΩLUT↑☼N - ADAPT - OVERCOME - RISE ABOVE - EDUCATE - MOTIVATE - INSPIRE

Exercising the Right to freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

Loading
--- If you would like to post front page articles on chaoticfate.com register here

Friday, May 27, 2011

Chinese Prisoners Forced To Play World Of Warcraft

china-prison

Ironic — when I was a kid, being locked up in a Chinese prison and “forced” to stay up playing video games all night would have been my dream. The Telegraph reports:

A 54-year-old prisoner at the Jixi labor camp in the northern province of Heilongjiang said he was forced to play games on the internet in order to build up credit that was traded by his guards for real money, a practice known as “gold-farming”.

In an interview with the Guardian, the prisoner said online gaming was a far more lucrative activity for the managers of the labor camp than the physical labor the inmates were forced to do. “Prison bosses made more money forcing inmates to play games than they do forcing people to do manual labor,” he said. “There were 300 prisoners forced to play games. We worked 12-hour shifts in the camp. I heard them say they could earn 5,000-6,000rmb a day. We didn’t see any of the money. The computers were never turned off.”

He added: “If I couldn’t complete my work quota, they would punish me physically. They would make me stand with my hands raised in the air and after I returned to my dormitory they would beat me with plastic pipes. We kept playing until we could barely see things.”

It is estimated that 80 per cent of all gold farmers are in China and with the largest internet population in the world there are thought to be 100,000 full-time gold farmers in the country.

0 comments:

Post a Comment